Charter School Authorizing and ACOE in California
The Charter Authorizers Regional Support Network “CARSNet” is a project of the Alameda County Office of Education. It is designed to improve the capacity of charter authorizing agencies and their staff to conduct rigorous application reviews, monitor and oversee charter schools using multiple sources of data, and evaluate and disseminate information on charter school performance. CARSNet was formerly funded by a U.S. Department of Education Charter Schools Program National Leadership Activities Grant. Although the grant is now over, the work and momentum developed by the project continues to be supported by ACOE and other partner organizations.
Components of the CARSNet program include:
- An annual conference specifically for charter school authorizing agency staff and board members. CARSNet is partnering with the California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA) to continue to provide this service
- Comprehensive training program aka “Boot Camp”
- CARSNet is working in partnership with CCSESA to develop a workgroup to continue the ongoing development and support of tools for charter authorizing
- County Offices bringing charter authorizers together to share knowledge and resources
- Website with resources, tools and an on-line community