California Charter Authorizers Boot Camp
Registration for CARSNet Boot Camp is on a first come, first serve basis as there is a maximum of 36 people per cohort. We will make every effort to provide enough seats for all applicants who wish to attend. If we cannot, priority will be given to employees of authorizing agencies and to individuals with limited experience or newly assigned to this responsibility. Cost for this two day training is $175 per participant and includes all materials, lunch and afternoon snack each day.
2019-20 Boot Camps
Save the dates:
- October 16-17, 2019: Santa Clara COE
- February 24-25, 2020: San Diego COE
- May 7-8, 2020: Fresno COE
More information coming soon!
2018-19 Boot Camps
CARSNet Authorizers Boot Camp is an intensive training for school districts and county offices. It is designed to help local educational agencies understand the processes, requirements, and timelines for charter school petition submittal, approval and important key steps in providing ongoing oversight of a charter school’s operations. Join us as we dive deep into the review process using a real charter petition as our case study!
- Legal structure of California’s Charter School Act
- Using on-line resources to find relevant law, regulations and other guidance
- Reviewing charter petitions using a rubric aligned with legal standards
- Developing an oversight agreement and monitoring calendar
- Understanding academic performance and accountability
- Using school site visits as part of effective oversight
- Monitoring financial reports to ensure sustainability
- Intervening when things go wrong
- Making tough charter renewal decisions